Whether it's an old dresser or a storage chest, wooden furniture can add a creative overtone to any room. A single piece of wooden furniture can give your home a classic and eloquent accent. The best pieces are often old and in need of restoration. Here are a few tips you can use to keep your wood furniture in good condition:
#1: Start With a Little Cleaning
This may be the simplest solution to refinishing your wooden furniture. Wood furniture tends to attract dirt, grime, dust, and water stains. You can restore it to new-like conditions by:
- Cleaning with an oil-based wood cleaner and conditioner.
- Making a warm water and liquid detergent solution. Do not saturate the wood and work quickly to avoid warping.
- If all else fails, use a solvent such as turpentine. Be sure to work outside or in a room with good ventilation. When working with the solvent, use a scrub cloth such as burlap.
#2: Inspect the Furniture
Not all wooden furniture can be saved. Small cosmetic repairs are easy to tackle. However, if after cleaning you find major holes, missing pieces, or unwanted imperfections that cannot be easily repaired or replaced, it may be best to repurpose the piece into something new. You can also keep pieces of furniture that are too much of a hassle to restore on hand for parts when repairing other wooden pieces.
#3: Strip the Wood
The most important step to restoration is stripping old varnish and paint that is in bad condition. Skipping this process will give the furniture a clunky feel and sloppy look. The goal is to make the surface smooth, which will give your furniture an authentic look.
#4: The Final Touch
When it comes to restoring your wooden furniture, the final outcome is what matters most. Adding the finishing touch is just as important as the opening steps of restoration. When it comes to producing the final result, keep these things in mind:
- Add a splash of paint.
- Stain the wood a darker or lighter color.
- If the old varnish is in good condition, add an overcoat instead of stripping it. This will save time and money.
- Add decorative patterns.
Whatever you decide to do with your wooden furniture, make sure you are using the proper tools and keeping safety in mind while conducting a restoration. Wear safety goggles, gloves, and work in a well ventilated area at all times.
For help with your furniture refinishing project, contact a company like Leisure Furniture & Powder Coating Inc.